Friday, May 27, 2011

One Week in Yosemite Valley!


We've been in the valley for a week now. The weather is fantastic and the landscape is unbeatable. We have been very busy this week adjusting to the climbing here... This place is hard! or I'm just a wuss. So far Liesel and I have climbed Super Slide, Serenity Crack and Commitment into Selaginella as well as a few nice boulders. We also ran/hiked up to Nevada falls via the Mist trail one "rest" day and back down a portion of the John Muir trail.
Looking down Pitch 3 on Super Slide
Commitment and Selaginella are on the center of the buttress
Yosemite Falls

Here are some neat photos, mostly of Half Dome.





El Cap towering over Liesel.

Yesterday was the highlight of my trip so far in Yosemite. Siebe and I got up on the Captain and climbed the Nose up to Dolt Tower. Siebe was psyched to suss the moves out in hopes of one day freeing the route and I was happy to have a long day on jugs and aiders. I learned some new techniques and free climbed maybe a total of 200 feet all day, the approach shoes never came off:) Thanks to Siebe for being psyched to endure a long, COLD day.
Dolt Tower is just down and left of the much larger, more obvious El Cap Tower.

Looking down pitch 6? 7?
Siebe saved a Pop Tart for the top.
Bad Mofos.

Before we arrived in the valley Liesel and I stopped in Joe's Valley for 2 days of climbing, but the weather shut us down the second day. We ended up climbing in Triassic that day with David and Christine, two friends living in SLC. Triassic is much less popular than Joe's but we found it to be a nice area, densely packed with good boulder problems. I really enjoyed Desparete V7 and David did good work on Lemmonhead which is featured on the cover of the old, black Utah Bouldering book.


2 comments:

dirtkitty said...

Oh Man!! Sean is going to be sooooo jealous! Awesome you two :) Thanks for sharing.

Christine said...

Glad you goddamn hippies are posting! I can't wait to see you again. D-money is flying over the ocean as we speak. But I'm getting geared up for Ten Sleep ~June 8-July 7. Consider changing your plans! I'll send you some freaking INCREDIBLE photos if you need motivation.